Established as an autonomous statutory body under the University Grants Commission Act, 1993, UGC has the following broadly envisioned objectives:
● to promote, facilitate, support, and enhance the quality of higher education,
● to enable educational institutions to meet the national need for an educated and trained workforce,
● to develop Nepali academia as per the global standard,
● to solve problems and face challenges that have been historically impairing the development and quality of higher education in the country, and
● to make higher education inclusive and accessible to disadvantaged and marginalized communities.